Canada Post is serving up a heaping helping of new stamps featuring iconic desserts from across the country.
The new Sweet Canada stamp collection features a total of five classic Canadians desserts in stamp form, including Nanaimo bars, Saskatoon berry pie butter tarts, tarte au sucre (sugar pie) and blueberry grunt.
As per Canada Post:
- Rich and chocolatey Nanaimo bars have been associated with their namesake Vancouver Island city since the no-bake recipe first appeared there in the 1950’s.
- Saskatoon berry pie, notable for the unique apple and almond taste of its fruit, is a true Canadian original. High in fibre, protein and antioxidants, the berries were once a staple of Indigenous people and Prairie settlers.
- Butter tarts have become an object of cultural pride in some Canadian communities, with several Ontario towns boasting the best bakers of these sweet pastries.
- An indispensable offering at Quebec patisseries, tarte au sucre has centuries-old European origins that were adopted by early arrivals to New France.
- Named for the noise it makes while cooking, blueberry grunt has been enjoyed on Canada’s East Coast for generations.
Sweet Canada permanent domestic stamps are available in booklets of 10 for $9, a souvenir sheet official first day cover for $5.50, and souvenir sheets for $4.50 each.