It’s a sad day for movie buffs in Halifax as Cineplex of Toronto announced Thursday that the city’s iconic Oxford Theatre will be closing its doors on September 13, 2017.
Cineplex said the theatre located at the corner of Quinpool Road and Oxford Street has been sold to a local business owned by the Nahas family, Nanco Group, and as a result “will be officially closing its doors on September 13, 2017.”
To celebrate and pay homage to the theatre, a special week of programming featuring screenings of iconic films that have played on its screen over its eight decades is planned.
The farewell screenings will run from September 8 through 13, with fan favourites like Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Goldfinger, Rocky, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Titanic.
The Oxford will feature the following films during it final week of programming:
- Friday, September 8 – Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), Casablanca (1942) and Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Saturday, September 9 – Wizard of Oz (1939), Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Sunday, September 10 – E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982), Gone with the Wind (1939) and Maudie (2016)
- Monday, September 11 – Rear Window (1954), The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) and Aliens (1986)
- Tuesday, September 12 – City Lights (1931), Grease (1978) and The Graduate (1967)
- Wednesday, September 13 – Singin’ in the Rain (1952) and Titanic (1997)
Tickets to all screenings will be $4.99, with proceeds going to the IWK Foundation.
Image via Google Street View